How to recognize and overcome fatigue with Dr. Carri Drzyzga
by Mike J. Agugliaro
In this week’s episode of The CEO Warrior Podcast, Mike Agugliaro interviews Dr. Carri Drzyzga, who is known internationally as the functional medicine doctor. Dr. Carri has doctoral degrees in Chiropractic and Naturopathic Medicine, and she is committed to helping patients find the root cause of their problems and fix the cause with natural treatment so they can feel normal again. During this episode, Mike and Dr. Carri discuss how to recognize fatigue, action steps for overcoming fatigue, how to implement The Slight Edge, recognizing and changing habits, getting better sleep, changing your diet, and time management.
Main Questions Asked:
- How do you recognize fatigue?
- What are action steps people can implement to overcome fatigue?
- What is your feedback on habits and how to recognize and change them?
- Talk about the myths and problems with health and nutrition.
- What is the difference between functional and traditional medicine?
- What is the baseline we should work from when it comes to health?
- Talk about time management and fatigue.
- What are healthy brain habits?
- What part do relationships play in entrepreneurial fatigue?
Key Lessons Learned:
- Your number one business asset is you.
- If you feel like your brain isn’t on point like it used to, you might be suffering fatigue.
- Rate your energy from 0-10, and if you aren’t at 8 or higher, then you are suffering fatigue.
- Fatigue impacts your businesses’ bottom line and your personal health.
Action Steps for Overcoming Fatigue
- Get back to the basics and ensure you are eating healthily, drinking enough water, getting exercise, practicing stress management, and getting deep sleep.
- Start with one thing at a time and ask yourself, “What is the one small step I can take today?”
- The Slight Edge is all about the small things we do or don’t do that bring us either toward our goal or take us away from our goal.
Get Better Sleep
- A simple tool to use in order to get better sleep is wearing an eye mask.
- All sources of ambient light prevent you from falling into the deepest levels of sleep.
- Cutting out ambient light allows your brain to make maximum amounts of melatonin.
- It’s during the deepest levels of sleep that our body recharges itself and detoxifies.
- You may not sleep more, but you will get better sleep.
How to Recognize and Change Habits
- A lot of entrepreneurs and business owners medicate themselves with caffeine and sugar just to get through the day. This masks your real energy.
- Ask yourself what your big why is: ‘Why am I running this business, and what are my goals?’
- Functional medicine operates on the notion that every body is unique. Finding the best diet is a process and not ‘one size fits all.’
- Work on changing one meal at a time. It may take you 2-3 weeks to get the habit formed.
- What small step can you take today to make one change in your diet?
- Every food decision you make not only affects you but also your children and your family’s life.
- Figure out what foods are your friends and what foods are your enemies.
- Take the time to recognize what is going on in your body after you eat.
- Pay attention to symptoms of gas, bloating, and heartburn, as it is telling you what you ate may not agree with your body.
- Functional medicine is about finding the cause, fixing the cause, and feeling normal again.
- Functional medicine is not ‘Band-Aid medicine’ that covers up symptoms with drugs.
- This is about finding the underlying root of the cause of the symptoms.
- Doctors are able to treat patients remotely via Skype; this is known as telemedicine.
- Go back through your personal timeline and figure out where the fatigue started.
- When it comes to tests, you should at minimum have blood work done to check your Vitamin D, B12, and Iron levels.
- Track the KPI’s for your health, as well as your business.
- Whenever you get tests done, you should always get a copy for yourself to keep in your personal medical file.
- The bacteria in your gut have a huge impact in your health and the health of your brain.
- A lot of people have hormonal imbalance, which often shows up as low sex drive.
- If you love your health, it will affect your relationships, business, and every aspect of your life.
Meditation & Boxing
- Schedule a 5-min. meditation once a day.
- Turn off your notifications
- Breathe in your favorite color and breathe out a color you hate or blackness
- Consistently meditating for 5 minutes per day has an exponential effect.
- For some, instead of meditation, boxing is a good alternative. This is a great way to focus and get rid of frustration.
Time Management and Fatigue
- Time management goes back to prioritizing and thinking about your big ‘why?’
- Delegate to elevate. Hand off things that someone else can do.
- Don’t let technology suck your time; instead, use it to gain time.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review in iTunes!
Links to Resources Mentioned
The Functional Medicine Radio Show
Reclaim Your Energy and Feel Normal Again (book)
Functional Medicine Ontario
The Slight Edge
Are you suffering entrepreneurial fatigue? Find out how to fix it w/ @DrCarriD @CEOwarrior https://ceowarrior.com
How does sleep really affect your bottom line as an entrepreneur? Find out w/ @DrCarriD @CEOwarrior https://ceowarrior.com
P.S. – Seize SUCCESS today! Subscribe to HomeServiceMAX to see how the pros do it.
P.S.S. – Learn why Rodney is now ready to take it to the next level.