In this week’s episode of The CEO Warrior Podcast, Mike Agugliaro interviews Charles Horton, who is a self-made multi-millionaire and oversees more than fifty retail financial outlets across the country. Mike and Charles discuss breaking through fear, team empowerment, finding the right people, and limiting beliefs.
Main Questions Asked:
- What is wrong with business today? Why are others not figuring it out, and what are the roadblocks?
- Where does fear come from with regards to business?
- What are your insider tips on how to break through fear?
- Tell us about belief systems in business.
- What have you done to empower your team?
- How do you get the right people into the company?
- Explain your use of mentors.
- What are some of your greatest insights on how to scale a business?
- Do you have to pay attention to marketing and sales in your business?
- What are your general theories on sales in general and how do you use it in your company?
- How do you deal with a constant sense of risk?
- What is a limiting belief?
- Is it a possibility for someone to have no limiting beliefs or negative thoughts?
Key Lessons Learned:
- Your job when creating a company is to work yourself out of a job as fast as possible.
- People are risk averse and like comfort.
- The more uncertainty you can deal with in life, the more successful you will be.
- Charles says he handles a “whole lot of stress and make[s] a lot of money because of it.”
Advice for Breaking Through Fear
- Fear can be of success as much as it is of failure.
- Focus on what you want, not what you fear.
- If you don’t give any fuel to your fears, then they won’t take off and go.
- Many business owners believe they have to be at the business doing everything all the time. This is not true.
- If you help enough people get what they want, you get what you want.
- Invest in the team’s education and training, and let them go with the power of being able to do what they need to do.
- The key is delegating and letting the team make decisions and have ownership.
- Charles has a 15-minute call with the people who report to him on a daily basis. This is the time where he communicates and answer questions.
- One of Charles techniques is to allow managers to make a decision, and if it is wrong, then learn from it later, but the customer has to be happy in the moment that the decision is made.
- Once you give your team the power to make decisions, your phone will ring less.
- Set up systems that allow people to win when you win and have equal goals.
- Base pay is based on top line revenue. Money is made on the percentage of the bottom line. This percentage increases as the businesses growth grows.
Finding the Right People
- When you get the right person, they make an immediate impact.
- When Charles finds the right people, he trains them and ensures they have all the right mentors.
- Allow those who are successful help bring up other people.
Sales & Marketing
- Charles has stopped and started based on what’s going on in the economy, and found if you consistently advertise your business, it will do far better.
- People think you’re gone if you’re not doing your normal marketing.
- The biggest thing with marketing is to stay consistent and keep the message rolling.
- Charles considers all his employees to be involved in sales.
Keeping Ahead of the Trends
- What you focus on is what you get.
- Businesses don’t fail; people give up. There is always a solution to fix any problem.
- You have to be aware how the market changes over time.
Limiting Beliefs & Fire Walking
- Belief systems are how one programs his or her mind as to what reality is.
- Fire walking is about learning the lesson that what we have been told is real isn’t always true.
- The real lesson isn’t about hot coals; it’s about if you can do that, then what else can you do? What else is your mind holding you back from?
- Whatever your reality is now doesn’t have to be your reality tomorrow.
- Create your own reality, believe it 100%, and program it into your subconscious mind and it will become true.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review in iTunes!
Links to Resources Mentioned
Click to Tweet