Matt Shoup discusses the problem today with leadership and communication.
by Mike J. Agugliaro
In this week’s episode of the CEO Warrior Podcast, Mike Agugliaro interviews Matt Shoup. Matt has been an entrepreneur since he was a young child. After getting six figures in debt and being fired from his corporate job, Matt founded M&E Painting and he turned it into a multi million dollar, award winning company.
Main Questions Asked:
- What is the problem today with leadership and communication?
- What drove you to get results?
- How can we become better leaders?
- How can someone judge themselves in regards to their leadership?
- Does leadership apply to any other areas of your life?
- What part does fear play in being a leader and communicator?
- Why should business owners want to consider learning more about communication?
- What is the one thing that you want business owners to think about over the next few years?
Key Lessons Learned:
- Leaders often feel the need to work in the operation of the business instead of the leadership role.
- You need to understand your communication style before looking for marketing tactics.
- Sometimes you need to believe in your ability to succeed before you have proof.
- Action is derived from emotion and belief.
- Great leaders learn from others and help others align with their vision.
- Some people have to make mistakes to figure out the right way to lead but you can save yourself the time and learn from someone who’s been there before.
- People are not units of production, they have stories and lives which should be valued. Try not to run people over with your motivation.
- You have to slow down enough to be able to accept feedback.
- You should understand your employee’s lives and perspectives.
- Open up your numbers and let your team know the metrics of success.
- Figure out a way to share your business’s success with your team and get them invested.
- Being able to communicate is great for business but it flows into everyday relationships as well.
- There are different communication styles and you have to adjust based on the style of the person you are communicating with.
- DISC – Humans are driven by four core emotions: Anger, Happiness, Fear, and Sadness. DISC measures the different styles of approach to communicating: Dominant, Influential, Steady, and Conscious.
- Each style approaches accomplishing a goal differently.
- Fear of making the wrong decision can hold you back from being an effective leader.
- Sales need to happen for a business to happen, you have to modify the approach depending on who you are talking about.
- Dominants will make quick decisions, Influentials need to feel good about the decision, Steadys need time, and Conscious need to have the details first.
- Your style of communication can change based on your life experiences and who you spend time with.
- We often tend to compliment our partners.
- You can run into a lot of unnecessary hurdles in business if you don’t understand how you and your team communicates.
- You can’t grow your company alone.
- Understand where your current business comes from and how you can generate more of it.
- You are already selling whether you know it or not. You have a style and need to capture and harness it.
- You have to have a system to help your business grow even you have people to help you grow.
- If you don’t profit, your business won’t survive.
- The leader is in the driver’s seat of the company culture. You can have it happen by accident or you can create it intentionally.
- The numbers don’t lie, look at them, measure and then scale. At a certain point you will discover the ratios that allow your business to succeed and scale.
- Legacy, focus on creating a business and life that you are proud of and that other people will be proud of as well.
- Don’t get over logical.
- Leadership is crucial in every aspect of life.
- Don’t let fear hold you back.
- Understand your communication style and learn how your team communicates.
- Learn from others and save yourself the pain.
- Put your profit first. Without profit, your business will die.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5-star rating and review in iTunes!
Links to Resources Mentioned
P.S. – Seize SUCCESS today! Subscribe to HomeServiceMAX to see how the pros do it.