In this week’s episode of the CEO Warrior Podcast, Mike Agugliaro interviews Matt Shoup. Matt has been an entrepreneur since he was a young child. After getting six figures in debt and being fired from his corporate job, Matt founded M&E Painting and he turned it into a multi million dollar, award winning company.
Main Questions Asked:
- What is the problem today with leadership and communication?
- What drove you to get results?
- How can we become better leaders?
- How can someone judge themselves in regards to their leadership?
- Does leadership apply to any other areas of your life?
- What part does fear play in being a leader and communicator?
- Why should business owners want to consider learning more about communication?
- What is the one thing that you want business owners to think about over the next few years?
Key Lessons Learned:
- Leaders often feel the need to work in the operation of the business instead of the leadership role.
- You need to understand your communication style before looking for marketing tactics.
- Sometimes you need to believe in your ability to succeed before you have proof.
- Action is derived from emotion and belief.
- Great leaders learn from others and help others align with their vision.
- Some people have to make mistakes to figure out the right way to lead but you can save yourself the time and learn from someone who’s been there before.
- People are not units of production, they have stories and lives which should be valued. Try not to run people over with your motivation.
- You have to slow down enough to be able to accept feedback.
- You should understand your employee’s lives and perspectives.
- Open up your numbers and let your team know the metrics of success.
- Figure out a way to share your business’s success with your team and get them invested.
- Being able to communicate is great for business but it flows into everyday relationships as well.
- There are different communication styles and you have to adjust based on the style of the person you are communicating with.
- DISC – Humans are driven by four core emotions: Anger, Happiness, Fear, and Sadness. DISC measures the different styles of approach to communicating: Dominant, Influential, Steady, and Conscious.
- Each style approaches accomplishing a goal differently.
- Fear of making the wrong decision can hold you back from being an effective leader.
- Sales need to happen for a business to happen, you have to modify the approach depending on who you are talking about.
- Dominants will make quick decisions, Influentials need to feel good about the decision, Steadys need time, and Conscious need to have the details first.
- Your style of communication can change based on your life experiences and who you spend time with.
- We often tend to compliment our partners.
- You can run into a lot of unnecessary hurdles in business if you don’t understand how you and your team communicates.
- You can’t grow your company alone.
- Understand where your current business comes from and how you can generate more of it.
- You are already selling whether you know it or not. You have a style and need to capture and harness it.
- You have to have a system to help your business grow even you have people to help you grow.
- If you don’t profit, your business won’t survive.
- The leader is in the driver's seat of the company culture. You can have it happen by accident or you can create it intentionally.
- The numbers don’t lie, look at them, measure and then scale. At a certain point you will discover the ratios that allow your business to succeed and scale.
- Legacy, focus on creating a business and life that you are proud of and that other people will be proud of as well.
- Don’t get over logical.
- Leadership is crucial in every aspect of life.
- Don’t let fear hold you back.
- Understand your communication style and learn how your team communicates.
- Learn from others and save yourself the pain.
- Put your profit first. Without profit, your business will die.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5-star rating and review in iTunes!
Links to Resources Mentioned
P.S. – Seize SUCCESS today! Subscribe to HomeServiceMAX to see how the pros do it.