When was the last time you really thought about leadership? As the owner of an HVAC, plumbing, or electrical business, you are ultimately responsible for leading your team. Even if you’ve got managers overseeing daily operations so you can focus on the bigger tasks that will help you make more money, it’s still important for you to set a great example of leadership.
I’ve found that even great leaders can always work on becoming better leaders. But how do you do that?
The ideas in this article were pretty interesting. Take a look at the following five ways to become a better leader and see if you can incorporate some of them into your own leadership.
1. Make it clear that you care. Do you show personal interest in your employees, or is it all business, all the time? Take some time to ask them if they did anything fun over the weekend. See how their families are doing. When it’s time to talk about work, make sure you let your team members ask questions and share their concerns – and really listen to what they have to say.
2. Focus on employees’ strengths. All leaders want to encourage those they lead to improve. But it’s easy to get stuck focusing on the negative. Figure out what your employees’ strengths and weaknesses are, and help them find a place where they can be successful.
3. Treat employees with respect. Everyone communicates, learns, and does their work in a different way, and you need to understand that. Don’t expect your employees to do everything the way you do.
4. Make yourself available. Whether it’s about something serious, or just being out among your team, cultivate a sense of availability and approachability – and make sure everyone feels that they can talk to you.
5. Give feedback. Your employees want to know what they’re doing well, where they can improve, and how they can challenge themselves. Talk to them regularly to provide feedback. Let them know you support them, and they’ll be more willing to step out of their comfort zone.
Great leadership can help you build a great team. This is key in achieving market domination, and taking your business to the next level. Don’t be afraid to be a leader.
Mike Agugliaro, “Business Ninja”
Founder of the $23 Million Dollar Service Blueprint and Service Warrior Business Mastermind